Practical Parenting Ideas: DIY Wood Sign with Daily Craft Vinyl

Monday, December 22, 2014

DIY Wood Sign with Daily Craft Vinyl


At Pinners Conference this year, I visited the Daily Craft Vinyl booth and was impressed by the quality and variety of colors. I was inspired to make a craft, and after some thought, decided to make a wood sign for Christmas. I chose red, silver, green, and yellow. For this particular one I decided to use red and silver, and thought it turned out so beautifully!

What you need:

  • Daily Craft Vinyl
  • Daily Craft Vinyl Transfer
  • Wood sign
  • Newspapers or sheet of plastic
  • Spray paint or paint and brush
  • Silhouette Cameo, Cricut, or X-acto knife
  1. Cut your piece of wood to the size you desire. A hardware store or construction company can do this for you. (My brother owns his own business and was happy to help me cut the wood and route the edges)
  2. Give it a light sanding, then spray paint on to the wood (light layers to avoid drips). Let dry completely, then repeat process till they are fully painted (approx 5-6 coats). Note: The edges will take longer to absorb the paint
  3. Figure out what design and lettering you want. Pinterest has tons of ideas
  4. Use a Cricut, Silhouette Cameo, or X-acto knife to cut through top sheet of vinyl (leaving the backing uncut)
  5. Apply the vinyl to the wood, measuring carefully and following the instructions per this video

And there you go - a beautiful decorative sign to use in your home or give as a gift! I especially like how the silver looks different depending on the lighting of the room. Watch for another DIY wood sign to come to Practical Parenting next month, this one for a kid's room!

Disclosure: I received free vinyl from Daily Craft Vinyl in exchange for this post. All opinions are my own - read our full disclosure for more information.

2 comments:

  1. It turned out wonderful! I'm kind of kicking myself that I got rid of my cricut (but I really hadn't it used it for like 2 years).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I love how it turned out! I was going to use an X-acto knife, but found out my sister-in-law has a Silhouette Cameo. It made cutting the letters much easier!

      Delete