Practical Parenting Ideas: Homemade Uncrustables Recipe

Tuesday, August 19, 2014

Homemade Uncrustables Recipe

When I first heard about Smucker's Uncrustables, I'll admit that I laughed, thinking who doesn't have time just to make a sandwich? But then I tasted one... and it was better than a regular PBJ!

My family started buying them often and realized they are very handy for my son (who insists on making his own lunches for school) to throw in his lunch box. They're also great for picnics at the park or when we're otherwise on-the-go.

BUT they are also more expensive than making a sandwich-- so we thought of making our own! This is our second try at making them, and they turned out much better this time.


First, get your favorite bread. We found Grandma Sycamore's bread worked great. I prefer wheat for me and my kids most of the time, but my husband will only eat white-- so we made both. As for figuring out ingredient amounts, keep in mind that one loaf of bread makes about 10 sandwiches and only takes about 1/4-1/3 jars of each peanut butter and jelly.


Cut off the crust (make homemade croutons with this recipe by Savory Sweet Life!) with a cookie cutter or top of a cup to cut it into a circle. I really recommend the Wilton Comfort Grip Round Cookie Cutter because my hands got sore after pressing so hard on the cup a few times.



Then spread peanut butter on both sides and add a spoonful of jelly in the middle of one side. Put the two halves together, and use a fork to press the edges together.


Put them in baggies in the freezer and you're good to go! Enjoy!


You might also like: Homemade Croutons Recipe by Savory Sweet Life

1 comment:

  1. Debi, these look wonderful! And very fancy (as fancy as a PB&J can get!) I like your idea of using the fork to seal the sandwich. Pinning and sharing on FB

    ReplyDelete